Citizen Police Academy
- Classes start August 23rd and will run through November 1st of 2022.
- Classes will be held Every Tuesday evening from 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm.
Since 2008 Bixby Police Department has put on a Citizens Police Academy each year. The Citizens Police Academy is free of charge and is designed to introduce citizens to the everyday life of a police officer. Some of the topics covered during this academy will be Patrol Tactics, Domestic Disturbances, Criminal Investigations, Narcotics Identification and Traffic Accident Investigations. The student (only 21 or older) will also have the opportunity to obtain a certificate of completion for the Self Defense Act (Concealed Carry) portion of the training. The Academy will consist of 1 night a week for 10 weeks; each class will be approximately 2 hours. Applications can be picked up at the Bixby Police Department.
The requirements for eligibility in the Bixby Citizens Police Academy are as follows:
- Be able to pass a criminal background check
- Cannot have a protective order against you
- Must be 18 years of age or older (Note-must be 21 years of age or older for the option to obtain a certificate of completion for the Self Defense Act.)
- No felony convictions
- Possess a valid Driver License
Rules for Participation
The rules for participating in the Bixby Citizens Police Academy include, but are not limited to:
- 90% attendance
- Attention and respect to all Staff and Instructors (unnecessary disruptions or disrespect will be cause for removal)
- Class participation/attention required
- Mandatory attendance to first class or your application is rescinded
- Mandatory attendance to gun safety class in order to participate in firing range class
- Punctuality is a must (we have very little time)
If you have any questions or concerns complete the Contact Citizens Police Academy online form.