- Community Services
- Safety and Security
- Identity Theft
Victims of identity theft lose more than money. They lose peace of mind. Victims often spend dozens of hours working with creditors, credit reporting agencies, financial institutions, and law enforcement to reclaim their good names and credit records. The recovery process can take months, even years.
Don't Wait, Act Quickly
A fast response to identity theft is the best way to minimize the damage to your name and financial health. If you are a victim of identity theft, the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation recommends that you immediately take the following steps:
First, File a Report
- File an Identity Theft Report with a Federal, State or Local Law Enforcement Agency.
Second, File an Affidavit
- Complete the Federal Trade Commission Identity Theft Affidavit.
- Go TO www.consumer.gov/idtheft for further informtion
Three, Submit both to Credit Agencies
Submit a copy of the completed Identity Theft Report and Federal Trade Commission's Identity Theft Affidavit, with supporting documentation, to one or more of the Consumer Credit Reporting Agencies:
Four, Complete an Oklahoma Identity Theft Passport Application
Go to the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigations website and and submit all required documentation. These are listed below.
- A copy of the Identity Theft Report Police Report
- A copy of your completed Federal Trade Commission's Identity Theft Affidavit
- A certified mail delivery receipt from submission of your completed Federal Trade Commission's Identity Theft Affidavit to one of the three consumer reporting agencies.
- A completed Oklahoma Identity Theft Passport Application
- Two color, passport style photographs of the applicant
- A copy of the applicant’s valid Oklahoma driver’s license or Oklahoma ID card
- Note: If the applicant is a minor, a copy of the minor's parent's or legal guardian's valid Oklahoma driver's license or Oklahoma ID card must also be submitted, along with a sworn and notarized affidavit attesting to the fact that the subject is the applicant's parent or legal guardian.
Upon successful completion of the application process, OSBI will issue a certificate and identification card. This card can be used only for law enforcement purposes.
For questions on Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigations Identity Theft Passport programs, see their website or please contact them at IDTheft@osbi.ok.gov.
Information form this page was adapted from resources from the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation website.